Victor and Luisa Ayala Gonzales

Victor and Luisa Ayala Gonzales
Victor Gonzales and Luisa Ayala

Monday, October 17, 2011

Building la Familia de Abraham Gonzales

The Gonzales Familia I am building is principally from Zacatecas, México.  The oldest members of that family to my knowledge are Abraham Gonzales and his wife, Benancia Medina.  Their children are four sons: Luciano, Victor, José María and Octaviano.  The records of their children indicate that they came from Jeréz and Fresnillo, Zacatecas, México.  Luciano was married to Dominga Mejía, José María was unmarried, Victor was married to Luísa Ayala and Octaviano was married to Epimenia Herrada.

One thing to keep in mind that the Gonzales name as spelled out in Mexican baptismal records was GONZÁLEZ.  For purposes of this blog, consider both spellings as correct.  I have borne the name of GONZALES all of my life, as have my 4 siblings, and I would rather not have to spell it with a Z at the end because that requires a written accent mark over the A; an extra step I would rather avoid.  As the familia crossed the border into the USA in about 1914-1915, it is certain that the border officials changed the Z to S for ease of writing the Gonzales name, as phonetically, S and Z are very similar. Uncle Julio, Victor's son, managed to preserve the correct spelling of GONZÁLEZ for his family.

I welcome any discussion on this Gonzales familia.

TexGonzales

9 comments:

  1. Welcome to the community, I also do have Gonzalez in my family but they all seem to come form Ciudad Mier Tamaulipas, Cerralvo and Monterrey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to Geneabloggers. I am very much interested in the Gonzales/z family history. I am adopted and know that I have a biological surname of Gonzalez. Look forward to your research. Hope to learn from you how to do research from Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been tracing Mexican ancestors for a friend but often find it challenging. I look forward to reading your posts and finding tips. Welcome to Geneabloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your Gonzalez and mine are related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Memarge,

      How are you coming along on your Gonzales family research?

      Michael

      Delete
  5. Memarge, Thanks for the contact. Where do you think we may be related, through which line?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Returned home after an extensive family and research trip to the west coast. I visited the Orange County Clerk's office and secured the marriage licences/certificates for Victor Gonzales who had two subsequent marriages following the death of his first wife, Luisa Ayala. I also went to the San Fernando Mission Cemetery in the San Fernando Valley (Los Angeles)and visited the final resting place for my uncles, Pete and Paul and their wives.
    I have been looking for the the final resting place for Luciano Gonzales who died in Los Angeles in about 1918. My cousin, Tony Gonzales, told me that he and his uncle Romo were driving through Los Angeles many years ago and told him that Luciano was buried in the Calvary Cemetery on Whittier Blvd. I went to the cemetery to find his grave to see if there was a marker giving his birth and death dates to see if it was our relative. Alas, there was no marker present. I had previously found a death certificate for a Luciano Gonzales in the Los Angeles County records but dismissed it as not being our relative, but his death date matches the one at Calvary Cemetery. I will have to request the death certificate to verify that it is our relative. After what Tony told me that Romo told him, it may indeed be our relative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I went back to Los Angeles in 2012 and this time I got a copy of the death certificate for Luciano Gonzalez. Upon reviewing it I noticed a different spouse for him. I contacted Frances Gonzales to ask her about this spouse's name and she said that she remembers that Luciano had a second wife by that name so it very likely was the correct Luciano that I was looking for. Happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. In further research I discovered, through the help of a distant cousin, that Abraham and Venancia had another child by the name of Silveria Gonzalez. I have not yet located her baptismal record, but I did locate her marriage information, She married Silvestre Espinoza in 1870. She was 20 years old at the time of her marriage. The "informacion martimoniales" record revealed that her parents were, indeed, Abraham Gonzalez and Venancia Medina. More information to add to the tree.

    ReplyDelete